Saturday, March 03, 2007

A'dam Day 186

... from yesterday's random thoughts:
  • I'm sure I'll miss the seagulls here, I somehow got attached to their random screams, not too loud but loud enough to be heard, but more than that to their flying over my head, somewhere up there where the planes are as well. They somehow make me feel connected to the skies, missing the skies but getting them within grasp for the sole reason that they're living creatures (like myself) instead of steel machines.

  • It always makes me smile, seeing or thinking of the "cloud producing factory" here. It's not that far from where I live and I can see it from different zones in my neighbourhood. Somehow the colour of the smoke it produces always managed to match the colour of the clouds at that precise moment and to intermingle. It gives me a story-like sense.

  • Funnily enough, until a couple of days ago I never seriously thought about - and therefore not realised - that motorbikes have a luggage space right underneath the seat. It felt like a tiny eye-opener.

I still enjoy Saturday mornings quite a lot for the undefined grey area they bear on people's consciousness, a sense of weekend but not necessarily. There's room for work much more than on a Sunday yet not the sense of obligation stemming from traditional workdays. So today is such a day. I'm planning to have one of my bikes fixed (yesterday night been trying both but none of them worked), to get to Nieuwmarkt and to check out Squash City. I have quite an optimistic attitude as it is, also hoping to get my application done for the 3rd and last medium-term plan this week, the internship in the 4th and last block (the other 2 having been the Hague Academy & the EYS Conference).

I'm happy about my latest acquisition, the 2GB memory pen bought on Thursday.
I'm also happy about the 1st March dinner party, I enjoy being the initiator of such spontaneous events, where people feel good and get a sense of inter-cultural communication. The other thing I enjoyed about it was the fact that the people with whom it had started were not the same as the people with whom the evening ended. The evening also ended with a film: The last King of Scotland - an inspired & inspiring account on Idi Amin's rise & grip of power (Uganda, 1970s).

My last thought for now: Good morning!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home