Friday, December 04, 2009

It's the Media

As opposite to many of my Romanian friends [manifesting on blogs, e-groups of various sorts, and Web 2.0's social networking in general], the current presidential elections going on in the home country have passed me by almost entirely: it's for the first time since I am rightfully entitled to my voting rights that I did not use that, nor am I planning to.
Now, other than the fact that my limited knowledge of the present home country presidential debates doesn't add up to make enough of an informed decision on the matter [yes, I do take this into account] - one very significant contribution has been that of the media. Here it is, I'm writing it down:
The Portuguese media couldn't care less about what is or what is not going on in Romania. Including the elections and everything else having preceded them over the last months or even the entire year.
Do you think the politically-involved Portuguese had any idea about the governmental crisis a while back? - Nope, no idea at all.
Do you think there's been any coverage of however you want to refer to what's been going on in Moldova earlier this year? - Answer's the same: nay.

The above are all facts, or more precisely lack of them. Consequently, my point: How is one European citizen supposed to give the European brotherhood spirit [in a very political sense] any credit when the media of one European country has absolutely no coverage over events in another European country? Enlighten me.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:01 AM, Blogger Kinchkid said...

Quite an issue you have spotted there! Indeed, in Western Europe they have no clue on what's happening on the other side...

 
At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not really *that* far-fetched to expect EU countries to give antenna time to events in other EU countries, now is it?! Last time they've been counted, they were only 27 ..
To put it differently: in the absence of such feats, enlargement speeches remain purely demagogical.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home